Monday, April 14, 2008

Rome wasn't built in a day...

...but my new planter box was, thanks to my wonderful husband John and his best friend Dan--who is really a family member that was chosen, above and beyond the ones issued at birth.


A few weeks ago, John brought home a packet of tomato seeds. He is a fabulous cook, and we both love garden-fresh tomatoes. Last year, we grew some in containers on the deck out back. "It's a pity we don't have a raised planter box going around the edge of the deck", I mused. "The tomatoes got so root-bound in those pots last year". I shared my vision, and my husband agreed it was an intriguing idea.

Two weeks later, I came home from work to find an almost-finished project and two hard-working men. The planter was a wonderful surprise; the bond between these two men also warms my heart. When John told Dan what he had in mind to do, Dan didn't say "I'm busy", or "How about next weekend?". Between these two brothers-by-choice, the modus operandi is "You need me? I'll be right there."

Roof torn off by a storm? --No problem. We'll have a new one on shortly.

Bike not running? --Let's put our heads together and figure it out.

Child is sick and you have to be at work? --I'm off today; I'll take care of her.

Need a tool to finish that job? --I'll bring it over in a minute, and I'll stick around to help.

Family crisis? --I'll be right over.

Going through hard times? --I'm here to listen and help in any way I can.

Feel like giving up? --I'm not going to let you.

Broken-hearted? --Let me put my arms around you, brother.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was this friendship; these two men have been through thick and through thin together for close to 20 years now, without ever counting the cost or keeping score of who has done what for whom. This is my ode to that friendship...and a thank-you to both, for all their hard work.


"I have friends in overalls

whose friendship I would not swap

for the favor of the kings of the world. "

~Thomas A. Edison

1 comment:

Anna said...

I love it! Your story warms my heart and made my day! Wish I could have been there to share in the "family" time. I miss you dearly, sis!