Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Only in a Country Song

I've grown to love country music. Just about every time I turn on the radio, I hear a phrase that makes me laugh out loud.

In a country song you'll find self-deprecating humor and a down-to-earth look at life and human circumstance. There are unapologetic proclamations of faith, love, and patriotism. The singers admit their personal tastes, make honest self-appraisals, and sometimes get just plain silly.

Only in a country song will you find gems such as these:

Romantic overtures
"I sure wanna check you for ticks."

Reflections on What Went Wrong
"Grease and love both cause heartache."
"Well, there was the time I told that cowboy that you used to be a man..."

Know Thyself
"I live my life in Wal Mart fashion, and I like my sushi southern fried."
"I don't like politics, hypocrites, or folks with poodles dressed like kids; I'm a hounddog fan."
"I'm just a product of my raising: I say 'hey y'all' and 'yee haw'."

On Happiness and Simple Pleasures
"If French fries were fat free and you loved me, what a wonderful world this would be."
"It's alright to have a girl name'a Thelma Lou, that don't mind a little kiss when you got a little chew."
"Lookin' back I never have regretted takin' off early or callin' in sick, or lovin' away a Sunday afternoon."

Important Qualities in a Mate
"Someone who knows what I like in my coffee, and the shape of my ol' hat..."
"You look in my eyes and see my thinkin'..."
"She cranks my tractor with just one kiss."

No comments: