Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gratituesday

Today I am grateful for...

Encouragement. I am in the midst of a very overwhelming week at nursing school, and encouragement has come in many forms: hugs and help and reassurances from my husband; commiserations and positive feedback from classmates; smiles from instructors; a long chat with a friend; and one-liners from my four-year-old: "Mommy, are you going to work at the hospital and wipe sick peoples' bottoms today?"

Small town friendliness. It was cold and raining outside, and I didn't feel like leaving my warm nest on the couch to go to the store and get the staples that were absolutely needed before morning because we were almost out of bread, milk, and toilet paper. The husband was even more exhausted than I, so I dragged myself to the store and plodded through the aisles, draped over the cart. Ever had a night like that?

Well, what if you were plodding through the store draped over your cart and you happened to meet someone familiar who called you by name, smiled at you, and asked about you? Wouldn't you immediately stand up straight, smile, feel better, and feel cared about? I know I would. And I did, when it happened to me.

Cool thing is...it happens all the time in a small town. :-)

How about you? What are YOU thankful for?

No comments: